Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Chrysler Mirror. The One Piece That Never Sold.

This is the Chrysler Mirror.  I was reading a book on New York Architecture and saw the square-headed rivets used in the Chrysler Building and decided to try my hand at a little Art Deco.

This mirror came out  top heavy and kind of thick but it is an important piece in my design history.  From this piece came the Metropolis style that is one of my favorite design aesthetics to follow.  If you look through my blog you will see many pictures that echo this original experiment.

This is also the piece where I finally created a silver finish that was easier than silver leaf but retained the true look of a burnished metal.  This finish is one of my secret recipes that I've never seen anyone recreate.

This mirror is the only piece of mine that never sold.  After a year at  one of the stores I gave it away as a gift.  

The Chrysler Mirror: Pine, Hand-cut Wooden Rivets, Recycled Victorian House Trim, Silver Secret Recipe.

Designed and Built By Brett Bigham
Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland Oregon


No comments:

Post a Comment